Top Stories August 15, 2019

Accidental Fire Caused 300K Of Damage

by Jackson Hole Radio News

The fire earlier this month that heavily damaged Brooks Lake Lodge has been found to be fireplace related. Fire Inspector Erick Siwik says the fire was due to an ember from the fireplace igniting insulation and roofing material on the building. Early estimates put the extent of damage in the area of $300-thousand dollars. The incident was limited to the dining room and sitting room of the main lodge building. All of the occupants of the building were evacuated and no injuries were experienced. Siwik sounds the familiar precaution that with cooler weather approaching in the weeks ahead, people will be starting wood stoves and fireplaces – and before doing so, should clean and inspect the chimneys of their homes and businesses.