A tragic story out of Colorado serves as a reminder that as colder weather prompts residents to begin again to use furnaces and heating appliances, they should be safety checked to assure they don’t produce poisonous carbon monoxide gas. Two men in an apartment complex in Colorado were overcome as they slept and one died. Jackson Hole Fire Marshal Kathy Clay says the best defense is for residents to have carbon monoxide monitors in their homes. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that only a carbon monoxide detector can save a resident. She suggests detectors be placed near the furnace or water heater, and on every level of the house. Clay also urges residents to have their furnaces or water heaters checked to assure they are operating correctly. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be dizziness, nausea, and headache. Clay says especially if there is more than one person in the house feeling this way, get outside immediately. Clay says carbon monoxide detectors are not expensive and can be purchased at local hardware stores. The units can be either battery powered or plugged into the wall.