Look at the thermometer and the recent precipitation and there is no question the seasons have changed. Along with that change, residents are turning again to their heating appliances to maintain the comfort of their homes. Jackson Hole Fire Marshal Kathy Clay reminds that if it hasn’t already been done, now is the time to have the chimney cleaned and the wood-burning stove checked. She says a professional should come in and not only sweep the chimney, but check the entire system. Clay says, “It’s not just about the creosote that’s on the inside of your chimney pipe, but it’s about how the whole system works – any kind of extension of heat from that pipe into wood construction of your house can start a fire outside of your fireplace.” Additionally, Clay says other heating appliances should be checked to assure they don’t put out deadly carbon monoxide. She points out that any kind of fuel-burning appliance emits carbon monoxide. She says it’s a colorless, odorless gas that can kill you in your sleep. She also says homeowners need to have a smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector located at a minimum on every floor of their structures. Clay also suggests cleaning baseboards and other heating surfaces where dust has accumulated through the summer which will create a hot smell and even smoke in some cases.