It was a flirtation with disaster – that’s how Fire Marshal Kathy Clay describes an incident at an apartment complex on Gregory Lane in Jackson Friday. Clay says fire units responded to a call of a smoke alarm going off and found the apartment filled with smoke when they arrived and the residents not home. She says the residents were in progress of moving and had stacked some of their household goods near the electric range. She says somehow, one of the burners had been left on, on high and over time had melted some plastic material. She says the plastic dropped onto the burner and made enough smoke to activate the smoke alarm alerting the alarm company who called in the fire department. Clay says firefighters arrived to find the apartment filled with smoke, but no fire. They ventilated the apartment after assuring the stove was off. Clay says a second fire call over the weekend was to a control burn which was being conducted without having been called in. Clay reminds residents that announcing their intent to burn to the local dispatcher is needed to prevent mobilizing the fire department for no reason.