As people do their Christmas shopping, the reminder that is often shared is to lay in a supply of batteries for those gifts that too often come with “batteries not included.” However, the storage of those batteries can be a concern. A national alert has been sounded that unwrapped nine-volt batteries stored in drawers with other items can be a fire hazard. When metal of any sort crosses the two terminals, it causes heat which then can ignite paper products in the drawer. In fact, local Boy Scouts learn how to start campfires using 9-volt batteries and steel wool or cotton wadding which proves very effective. Jackson Hole Fire Marshal Kathy Clay recalls a number of years ago when a house fire in Jackson was started by aluminum foil completing the circuit across a 9-volt battery and igniting paper in a drawer. Fire officials urge homeowners to keep the batteries in their packages or to cover the terminals with electrician’s tape to prevent them from being shorted out and causing a fire to start.