Home » Greater Yellowstone »State of Montana » Currently Reading:

Funds Cut Off To Gardiner Schools

February 17, 2014 Greater Yellowstone, State of Montana No Comments
Gardiner School

The Gardiner, Montana school district has found itself approximately $400-thousand shy of funds usually collected from Yellowstone National Park to pay for students from Mammoth, Wyoming attending school in Gardiner.  Gardiner Public School Superintendent  JT Stroder explains that traditionally, 80% of the cost for the 37 students out of the park to attend the Montana school was received in November with the remaining 20% settled up in the summer.  However, the Interior Department has discovered funds from the recreational fee intended to be used to enhance the quality of visitor experiences in the park had been tapped since 1977 for the payments.  A 1948 law pertaining only to Yellowstone permitted this use until the Payment in Lieu of Taxes program evolved.  Now, Stroder says not only has the federal agency forbid Yellowstone from continuing to make the payments, they are seeking restoration of those funds that had been previously spent in this way.  Stroder says the school district is seeking a legislative solution to the problem, from the two states, from Park County, Wyoming or the federal government since Mammoth is not included within a school district.  Meanwhile, he says there is no interruption to those 37 students’ educations.

Comment on this Article:

LOST CREEK RANCH AND SPA WEBCAM

Quake List

Archive

Weather Alerts

Wyoming News

  • Cody Man Commits Suicide - September 18, 2014
    A 41-year-old Cody man killed himself with a pistol following a fight with his fiancé on Wednesday night. The Cody Police Department reports that Thad Deuter shot himself in the head in his backyard following a domestic dispute shortly after 8 p.m. At this time, authorities are not releasing additional information and the investigation is […]
  • Lummis Votes Against President’s Plan to Arm and Train Syrians - September 18, 2014
    The U.S. House passed two amendments on Wednesday to the continuing resolution to fund government which authorize the President’s plan to arm and train approved Syrian rebel groups to defend against groups like ISIS. Wyoming Representative Cynthia Lummis voted against the measures, citing the lack of an end goal in the President’s plan. “After waiting […]
  • Wyoming Secretary of State and U.S. Attorney Join Forces to Ensure Integrity of Election - September 18, 2014
    United States Attorney Christopher A. Crofts and Wyoming Secretary of State Max Maxfield announced that their offices will again work together to ensure public confidence in the integrity of the election process for 2014.  They will provide local points of contact within their agencies for the public to report any election concerns or possible voting […]
  • Unseasonably Warm Temperatures Continue, Only A Small Chance For Thunderstorms - September 18, 2014
    A strong ridge of high pressure will continue to control the weather today.  We will see sunny to mostly sunny skies with warm and well above normal temperatures statewide.  Conditions will also stay mainly dry during the day.  A cool front will then approach the state later this evening into tonight.  This will create thickening […]

National and World News

The Latest RSS Items

  • No items found in feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/StefaniasBlog?format=xml. You requested 5 items.
  • powered by RSS Just Better 1.3 plugin