School Evac Was Precautionary

It was a precautionary measure that caused students from Munger Mountain Elementary School to be evacuated for almost two hours Thursday. At approximately 10:20 am, a teacher and student reported feeling lightheaded and smelling an unusual odor.  Out of concern, the fire alarm was manually pulled to notify emergency personnel of the issue. Students and staff were evacuated to the bus loading area as 20 Jackson Hole Fire/EMS personnel arrived with a total of six emergency apparatus and other support vehicles. The school district transportation department sent eight school buses to provide shelter for students while they waited for the building to be evaluated by the emergency responders.  Jackson Hole Fire/EMS checked the building with gas detectors, determining that there were no elevated levels of any gases. Fire Marshal Kathy Clay says there was a report from maintenance that a motor on the HVAC system may have seized causing a rubber belt to overheat and be a source for the odor. That circumstance is still under investigation. Students and staff were allowed to re-enter the school at approximately 12:15p.m., at which time they had lunch in the cafeteria or their classrooms. Twelve students were evaluated for flu-like symptoms, of which two received high-flow oxygen on scene before being released with no additional follow up treatment needed.



Previous Story

Woods To Lead Grand Teton Music Festival

Next Story

Cutter Races In Afton

Latest from Blog

Swan Valley man found

A Swan Valley man missing since October 9th has been located. Bonneville County Search and Rescue

withemes on instagram

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.