Top Stories January 11, 2021

Fire Officials Warn on Space Heaters

by Jackson Hole Radio News

With the frigid weather in Jackson Hole over the past few weeks, some residents may be turning to space heaters to warm rooms in the house that remain chilly. Teton county Fire Marshal Kathy Clay admonishes residents to never bring a fuel-burning heater into the home due to the potential of it putting out carbon monoxide. At the same time, she says, caution should always be exercised when using electric space heaters as well.

“You need to plug that directly into the outlet. Do not use an extension cord on an electric space heater. Once it’s plugged in, make sure it sits far away from anything that’s combustible. You need to keep it at least three feet away from anything that can burn. Be cognizant of the fact that often these have thermostats on them that will adjust and turn on and off when needed. It could be off when you leave the room and then come back on when you when you’re not there – make sure you turn it off when you leave the room”

Clay adds that some people are dealing with frozen water pipes during the cold snap. In such an instance, she advises against trying to thaw them out yourself, and urges residents to seek professional help to solve the problem. Do-it-yourself efforts she says often result in house fires.