Top Stories April 6, 2021

Hoback Ranches blaze send two to hospital

by Jackson Hole Radio News

Six individuals are safe despite an early-morning fire Friday that destroyed a home and an adjacent building in Hoback Ranches.

Sublette County Unified Fire was dispatched at 3:40 am to a potential fire in a chimney. Fire units from four stations responded to the call but could not access the home due to unplowed roads.

Local fire fighters who live in the area, realizing that access to the residence was limited to snow machines and tracked off road vehicles, were first on scene, responding directly to the incident scene to provide for occupant safety while attempting to determine the extent of the fire with what resources they had on hand.

Sublette County Emergency Management, Search and Rescue and Road and Bridge Departments all assisted with providing a snow cat for better patient care and working to clear the road of snow and ice to residence for better access for emergency responders.

Two of the six building occupants were transported to St. John’s hospital for treatment and observation resulting from smoke inhalation but were released shortly after admission.

While the home and one other adjacent outbuilding were ultimately lost to the fire, all occupants escaped thanks to smoke alarm activation and timely response by all parties. The cause was determined to be an accidental electrical fire originating within a wall of the home.

 

photo:Sublette County Unified Fire